Functional 3D prototype production
Test and correct your product’s performance
At once efficient, accurate and realistic, our functional prototypes allow you to experiment with your design before moving into the production phase.
Confirm a part’s characteristics and mechanical functionality in order to:
- Prove the value of a concept to potential investors and customers;
- Guarantee design quality;
- Ensure project feasibility;
- Get your product to market faster.
- FDM and SLA additive manufacturing
- Surface finishing with specialized finishes and paints to simulate the appearance of the final product
- Certified ISO 9001 and AS9100C
- A variety of cutting-edge manufacturing equipment
- Reliability guaranteed by our auxiliary equipment:
- Paint room that meets aeronautic and ground transport standards
- Industrial generator and UPS backup, as well as high-performance servers
- ERP system and EPDM vault
Manufacturer of injection-molded plastic products.
To secure a city supply contract, the customer needed to present a new recycling bin model.
Manufacture and finish a new recycling bin model:
- Large dimensions (4′ x 2′ x 2′);
- Flawless finish;
- Sufficiently tough for testing.
- Thanks to Solaxis’ expertise, the bin was created in 2 sections and then assembled.
- The chosen finish was textured and very similar to that of the final product.
- Our customer was able to introduce the product to the city within established timelines and won the coveted contract.
Design and manufacturing division for remote control systems.
Our customer wished to design and create a new generation of remote control for locomotives, and to have the design approved by rail operators.
- To produce a functional and durable command system that would enable the customer to test its new products in the context of real-life applications.
- To provide a finish that would give operators the impression of using the final product.
- Production of several sections that could be assembled by the customer.
- Finish in several different colours, according to customer requirements.
- The customer was able to assemble the housing while incorporating its own electronic components consistent with its own secret strategic expertise.
- Simultaneous production of 3 housing units, 2 of which had a finish.
- 1 housing unit was used for an internal test bench and the 2 others were tested directly by the operators to verify ergonomics and proper functioning.
- The project was a success and the customer was able to move on to production.
Return on investment
The savings can amount to 2 to 25 times the cost of the prototype:
- Customers who acquire our functional prototypes are able to go to market several weeks faster.
- Using our functional prototypes allows companies to avoid costly errors resulting from mold modifications.
Our activity sectors
Frequently asked questions
Our printers’ production envelope is 3′ x 2′ x 3′. If your parts are larger, we can create assemblies in-house. For example, we have produced 8′ x 3′ x 3′ and 4′ x 4′ x 4′ assemblies while guaranteeing dimensional accuracy down to 0.06″ to 0.120″, depending on part geometry and complexity.
Our selection of thermoplastics allows us to produce functional parts that meet many different types of requirements. In addition, our production envelope is significantly larger than the norm. Finally, our paint room allows us to deliver parts whose texture and appearance are highly similar to those of a produced part.
Depending on your design program, we accept several different file types. The most common are:
- .STP (or .STEP)
- .IGS (or .IGES)
We use the following software in-house, and hence accept native files:
- SOLIDWORKS (.SLDPRT)
- CATIA (.CATPart)